AILA Citizenship Day 2013 Is Coming to Richmond - April 20th!

Want to

become a citizen?

Apply for naturalization and

have an attorney review your application for free!

What: Eligible legal permanent residents (green card holders) apply for naturalization

When: Saturday, April 20th, 10:00 am - 1:00 pm

Where: Branch's Baptist Church, 3400 Broad Rock Boulevard Richmond, VA 23234

Who: Permanent residents who are eligible for naturalization. We will also have several

experienced immigration attorneys available to help prepare the applications and to

review the N-400 forms

How: If you are interested in attending, please bring the documents listed below, if possible.

Again, this review is being provided at no cost. Apply now so you can sponsor family for immigration!

Due to the high-volume nature of this event, we may not be able to review/assist at the workshop with cases that involve criminal issues, or other complex issues. However, we can refer you to an immigration attorney who can assist.

For more information please contact Immigration Attorney Emily Sumner at or at 804-396-3412.

What to Bring to Citizenship Day

• Your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card).
• $680 (A personal check or money order payable to Department of Homeland Security at the time you submit the application)
(No fee if active military – bring proof of status) ($595 if over the age of 75).
• 2 color passport photos
• List of home addresses for the past five years and the dates in which you resided at these addresses.
• List of employer names and addresses for the past five years, including the dates you worked with these employers.
• Birth dates and data for your spouse (current and former) and ALL children (including adult, adopted and deceased) – date
and place of birth, A#, Green Card, and current address.
• Dates you have been outside of the U.S. since becoming a permanent resident and the countries visited on each trip.
• If necessary, bring interpreter to translate.
Other Documents - may be required
  • If the name on your green card is different than your current legal name, bring the documents that legally changed your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document)
· If you are applying for US citizenship based upon marriage to a US citizen bring:
o Proof your spouse had been a citizen for the past 3 years (spouse’s birth certificate, naturalization certificate,
certificate of citizenship, US passport, or form FS240);
o Current marriage certificate;
o Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s));
o Document showing that you and your spouse are still living together (examples: tax returns, bank statements,
leases, mortgages, birth certificates of your children, IRS-certified copies of income taxes for the past three years)
· If you have been married more than one time:
o Bring proof that ALL earlier marriages ended (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)).
· If you have taken a trip outside the US lasting longer than 6 months since becoming a Permanent Resident bring:
o IRS tax return “transcript” for the last 5 years (or last 3 years if married to a US citizen);
o Rent or mortgage payments; pay stubs.
· If you have a dependent spouse or children who do not live with you bring:
o Any court order to provide financial support;
o Evidence of your financial support (examples: canceled checks, money orders receipt, evidence of wage
garnishments, or letter from parent of guardian who cares for your children).
· If you think you have been arrested, detained, or if you have had to appear before a court for any reason whether in the last five years or earlier:
o Bring ALL documents relating to the arrest, conviction, court appearance, and final disposition.
o EXCEPTION—Minor traffic violations (examples: parking tickets, speeding tickets)
· If your federal, state, or local taxes are overdue (or you have failed to pay them):
o Bring copies of all documents, letters, or papers you sent to or received from the government about the problem.
· Selective Service: In general, all men ages 18 to 25 present in the US (regardless of citizenship or immigration status) are
required to register for the US Selective Service. Only men who are in the US in valid non-immigrant status (i.e. on a student,
temporary worker, or visitor’s visa) while age 18 to 25 are not required to register. If you were required to register at any
time , even if you are over 25 now, please bring proof of your registration.
o If you do not have proof of your registration, you can go to the Selective Service website (, enter your
name, Social Security number, and birth date, and make a print-out showing that you registered. Bring this print-out
with you. Or, you can call (847) 688-2576 to get proof that you registered.
We look forward to seeing you there!