Documents Required for H-1B Stamping

The holiday travel season is coming up soon, and people are starting to make holiday travel plans. Foreign nationals here on a nonimmigrant visa such as H-1B must also make sure their visa is valid to return to the US, on top of the other hectic details of arranging for holiday travel. The list below is provided as general information based on the current requirements. Of course the requirements may change over time, or the officer may request specific additional information from you.

When you apply for your H-1B visa at the US consulate, the documents you will need to process the H-1B visa include:

  1. Original Form I-797A Approval Notice (enclosed);
  2. A passport, which should be valid for six months beyond the date of the H-1B approval;
  3. At least two 37mm x 37mm photographs taken exactly as specified in this link:;
  4. Form DS -160 Nonimmigrant Application. This form may be obtained at;
  5. A copy of the package containing your H-1B petition sent to the USCIS;
  6. A current letter from your employer confirming your employment;
  7. You will need to pay a $190.00 Machine Readable Visa Fee and may incur Reciprocity Fees depending on your country of origin;
  8. Corporate information. (Some consulates require brochures; photos of the employer’s premises and company financials.);
  9. Copies of pay stubs or other pay records from your current employer; and
  10. If you are placed a third-party client site, a copy of a letter confirming your placement from the end client, if possible.

The Consulate may also require:US Visa

  • Pay slips from most recent place of employment
  • Names and current phone numbers of the personnel managers at the applicant's present and past jobs
  • Photographs of the inside and outside of current or most recent employer's place of business and/or client site (provided by the employer)
  • Personal bank records for the last six months
  • US company information: photographs of the inside and outside of the company's offices (provided by the employer), prospectus, brochures, and annual report

For more information on the H-1B visa, check out these pages. If you have further questions, don't hesitate to contact us to set an appointment for a consultation with attorney Emily Sumner. Happy travels!

Recent blog posts

Great news for those applying for naturalization to become a US citizen! USCIS will now continue to use the 2008 version of the civics test. In the last days of the Trump administration, USCIS announced that they would use a longer and harder version… Read More
By Nikita Hernandez, Sumner Immigration Law Paralegal It’s official! You’ve become Mr. or Mrs. and want to take on your spouse’s name while getting your US permanent residence situated, but when is the best time to do that? APPLYING FOR A NAME… Read More
One of the most common questions that we receive from our clients is about case processing time. The USCIS and DOL estimated case processing times are available online, but that source can be frustrating as they sometimes give a wide range of timefra… Read More

Read More Blog Posts

“We hired Ms. Sumner’s firm to file my Green Card application. Ours was not a complicated case but our decision to hire an attorney was to ensure that we completed all the paperwork (there were quite a few forms including one that we were not aw…”
– Naeem
“I hired Emily while she was working at Challa Law to file my permanent residency application under EB-1A category. She worked with me patiently through various stages of the process. She helped and guided me through every step, from writing reference…”
– Deepa

More Client Reviews