Filing an H-1B for the First Time? Have Your FEIN Verified!

One of the steps involved in the H-1B petition process is filing a labor condition application with the US Department of Labor. This is done online. However, if an H-1B sponsor has not filed an H-1B petition before, the online system will not recognize the FEIN (the sponsor's tax ID number). In this case, the FEIN must be verified by the Department of Labor. This process usually takes a few business days. If your H-1B petition is being prepared by Sumner Immigration Law, we will assist with the FEIN verification process. We will need at least one of the following documents to email to the Department of Labor (we will submit as many documents as you are able to provide):

  1. IRS FEIN assignment letter (letter giving you the company federal tax ID number).
  2. Federal/state tax return with the pre-printed label or coupon (if you entered the tax ID number yourself, they won’t accept it for this purpose).
  3. Documentation from your bank with the tax ID number on it.
  4. Articles of incorporation/business license or other certification of business existence.
  5. Secretary of State/Corporation Commission registration documents for the company.
  6. Other official government documents evidencing the FEIN.

Once the information is submitted to the Department of Labor, they usually verify the number within a few business days. They often send an email to confirm that that the FEIN is verified, but not always. Therefore, we proactively check the LCA a couple of days after the documentation is submitted.

Proactive preparation is key! Do you need assistance with an employment-based or family-based immigration matter? Contact us today to find out how we can streamline the process for you! 804-396-3412 or We look forward to hearing from you!

Recent blog posts

Great news for those applying for naturalization to become a US citizen! USCIS will now continue to use the 2008 version of the civics test. In the last days of the Trump administration, USCIS announced that they would use a longer and harder version… Read More
By Nikita Hernandez, Sumner Immigration Law Paralegal It’s official! You’ve become Mr. or Mrs. and want to take on your spouse’s name while getting your US permanent residence situated, but when is the best time to do that? APPLYING FOR A NAME… Read More
One of the most common questions that we receive from our clients is about case processing time. The USCIS and DOL estimated case processing times are available online, but that source can be frustrating as they sometimes give a wide range of timefra… Read More

Read More Blog Posts

“I want to thank you for doing such a great job representing me. I’m so glad we got positive results, but even before getting results, I was confident that we’ve done 100% due diligence with our RFE response. Though the questions from USCIS were i…”
– Immigration Client
“Emily is detailed oriented Attorney who takes care of my immigration status since 2006. She is very knowledgeable and clarify all the client’s questions and take care of the business. I recommend her for all these type of attorney services.”
– Sundarraj P.

More Client Reviews