How To Get A Social Security Number and Driver’s License

The social security number and driver’s license are critical documents that will make other aspects of your life easier, such as opening a bank account, applying for a residential lease, etc. However, you must have certain documents to obtain these. The information below is relevant for foreign nationals who are applying for permanent residence by filing the adjustment of status application (I-485) in the US. If you have a nonimmigrant visa status, the attorney who assisted with your case will be able to advise on what documents you will need to obtain the social security number and driver’s license.

Social Security Number

Once you have received the employment authorization document (frequently referred to as the work permit or EAD), you can apply for a social security number. Adjustment of status applicants usually receive the EAD within 90 -120 days of filing the I-485 application. For more information on how to obtain the social security number, please visit this page.

If you do not yet have the EAD but still need to file taxes and therefore need a social security number, you may be able to receive an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) instead. ITINs are issued by the IRS. A CPA (accountant) should be able to assist with this process.

Driver’s License

The requirements for obtaining a U.S. driver's license are different in each state. In Virginia, you can apply for the Virginia driver’s license once you have the I-485 receipt notice. For more information, see this page. The applicant usually receives the I-485 receipt notice within a few weeks of filing the I-485 application package.

Do you need assistance with a family-based or employment-based immigration matter? Contact our office at 804-396-3412 or at today to learn how we can help!

Recent blog posts

Great news for those applying for naturalization to become a US citizen! USCIS will now continue to use the 2008 version of the civics test. In the last days of the Trump administration, USCIS announced that they would use a longer and harder version… Read More
By Nikita Hernandez, Sumner Immigration Law Paralegal It’s official! You’ve become Mr. or Mrs. and want to take on your spouse’s name while getting your US permanent residence situated, but when is the best time to do that? APPLYING FOR A NAME… Read More
One of the most common questions that we receive from our clients is about case processing time. The USCIS and DOL estimated case processing times are available online, but that source can be frustrating as they sometimes give a wide range of timefra… Read More

Read More Blog Posts

“Emily Sumner has been my legal counsel since 2006 when she handled a somewhat complicated turn of events related to my change of status from HOB-J1. This was a matter in which we had hours to act rather than days, in order for me to avoid having to l… Read More"
– Avanti
“I met (virtually) Emily when she was handling my EB-1 petition and then later my I-485 at Challa Law Offices. She was of great help. Extremely timely. She drafted my petition and put my packages together. The biggest help was with letters of recommen… Read More"
– Leena N

More Client Reviews