Clarity and Strength in Immigration Law

Documents Required for H-1B Stamping

The holiday travel season is coming up soon, and people are starting to make holiday travel plans. Foreign nationals here on a nonimmigrant visa such as H-1B must also make sure their visa is valid to return to the US, on top of the other hectic details of arranging for holiday travel. The list below is provided as general information based on the current requirements. Of course the requirements may change over time, or the officer may request specific additional information from you. 

When you apply for your H-1B visa at the US consulate, the documents you will need to process the H-1B visa include:


  1. Original Form I-797A Approval Notice (enclosed);
  2. A passport, which should be valid for six months beyond the date of the H-1B approval;
  3. At least two 37mm x 37mm photographs taken exactly as specified in this link:;
  4. Form DS -160 Nonimmigrant Application. This form may be obtained at;
  5. A copy of the package containing your H-1B petition sent to the USCIS;
  6. A current letter from your employer confirming your employment;
  7. You will need to pay a $190.00 Machine Readable Visa Fee and may incur Reciprocity Fees depending on your country of origin;
  8. Corporate information. (Some consulates require brochures; photos of the employer’s premises and company financials.);
  9. Copies of pay stubs or other pay records from your current employer; and
  10. If you are placed a third-party client site, a copy of a letter confirming your placement from the end client, if possible.

The Consulate may also require:US Visa

  • Pay slips from most recent place of employment
  • Names and current phone numbers of the personnel managers at the  applicant’s present and past jobs
  • Photographs of the inside and outside of current or most recent   employer’s place of business and/or client site (provided by the employer)
  • Personal bank records for the last six months
  • US company information: photographs of the inside and outside of the company’s offices (provided by the employer), prospectus, brochures, and annual report

For more information on the H-1B visa, check out these pages. If you have further questions, don’t hesitate to contact us to set an appointment for a consultation with attorney Emily Sumner. Happy travels!