Can I use a visitor's visa for this? Appropriate and inappropriate uses of the visitor's visa?

The visitor’s visa (B1/B2) has multiple uses, and in some instances can be a great immigration solution for a foreign national needing to enter the US temporarily. However, if used inappropriate, it can also cause you and possibly your employer huge immigration problems and delays. Generally speaking, the B-1 is used for business purposes, and the B-2 is used for pleasure.

B-1 for Business: What is permissible?

The B-1 can be used when a foreign national needs to come to the US to participate in commercial transactions not involving gainful employment. This can include:

  • Negotiating contracts
  • Litigation
  • Consulting with clients or business associates
  • Participate in scientific, educational, professional, religious or business conventions
  • Attend business meeting (including members of the board of directors of a US corporation)

B-2 for Pleasure: What does this include?

Generally speaking, the B-2 can be used for touring and visiting the United States, including:

  • Tour
  • Visit friends
  • Health purposes (medical treatment)
  • Participate in conventions of social organizations

How do I get a visitor’s visa?

A foreign national applies for the visitor’s visa directly at the US consulate. The applicant must have a residence in the foreign country, and must intend not to abandon his or her foreign residence. When the foreign national applies for the visa at the US consulate, he/she will have to show ties to his/her home country, including employment, family, and social ties. The visa itself may be granted for a period of up to ten years. However, a foreign national can be admitted to the US for a period of up to one year. Once in the US, the foreign national can extend or change his or her status. However, there are certain rules regarding the change of status from a visitor’s visa. Therefore it is advisable to consult with an experienced immigration attorney before changing status.

Recent blog posts

By Nikita Hernandez, Sumner Immigration Law Paralegal It’s official! You’ve become Mr. or Mrs. and want to take on your spouse’s name while getting your US permanent residence situated, but when is the best time to do that? APPLYING FOR A NAME… Read More
One of the most common questions that we receive from our clients is about case processing time. The USCIS and DOL estimated case processing times are available online, but that source can be frustrating as they sometimes give a wide range of timefra… Read More
By Brianne Donovan, Sumner Immigration Law Clerk If you read our blog post, What to Expect When You’re Expecting (a New President), then you’re familiar with President Biden’s proposed immigration strategy. While the proposals seemed promising,… Read More

Read More Blog Posts

“Emily Sumner helped me with my Green Card process and I would say she is the best. She has a very good understanding of the immigration matters, given a problem she gives a detailed explanation of different solutions. The best part with her is she re…”
– Sridhar
“My Green Card got approved! Thank you very much for your help, I highly appreciate it! The way you have executed the filing procedure was simply perfect, from filing labor to GC approval, your documentation and communication with me was the best. I w…”
– Kishore

More Client Reviews