We are writing with heavy hearts to announce that the October visa bulletin as originally published has been rescinded and replaced with a new visa bulletin. The revised visa bulletin still has the two filing charts as the original one did. However, the dates shown in the revised “filing date” chart have significantly retrogressed. This means that thousands of foreign nationals, who have waited years, sometimes a decade or more, to apply for permanent residence, now cannot file October 1 as originally planned.
The revised visa bulletin can be found here: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/law-and-policy/bulletin/2016/visa-bulletin-for-october-2015.html
Why Did This Happen?
The following reason is provided on the revised visa bulletin:
Following consultations with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), the Dates for Filing Applications for some categories in the Family-Sponsored and Employment-Based preferences have been adjusted to better reflect a timeframe justifying immediate action in the application process. The Dates for Filing Applications sections (sections 4.B. and 5.B.) which have been adjusted have been identified in Bold type.
What Happens Now?
At this time we do not have further information. We will continue to keep you posted of any other developments as we have that information available.
Finally, please keep hope. Although our team is not impacted in the same way that you are, we are incredibly disheartened by this news. However, we are confident that brighter days are ahead in the immigration world, and that one way or another, this situation will be resolved favorably. Keep up the hope!
“For people who have been patiently waiting in line and are stuck in the long visa backlogs emblematic of the U.S. legal immigration system, this is yet another huge letdown,” said Victor Nieblas Pradis, AILA President. He continued, “So many people spent time and money getting their applications ready to file and now they are told, due to government miscalculation, that they can’t file after all. This mistake affects real people: individuals who have already made important life decisions based on previously released information published by the government two weeks ago. They now, once again, face extended delays before they can get travel documents and employment authorization. In the long run, the announced changes to the visa bulletin are improvements to the system that will eventually help thousands of families and individuals to plan and get on with their futures, but in the short run this miscalculation has serious consequences. Frankly, they deserve better, and the Administration should be ashamed and embarrassed at the harm this mistake has caused,” he concluded.