AILA Citizenship Day 2014!

Want to become a citizen?

Apply for naturalization and have an attorney review your application for free!

What: Eligible legal permanent residents (green card holders) apply for naturalization
When: Saturday, April 26th, 10:00 am - 1:00 pm
Where: Branch's Baptist Church, 3400 Broad Rock Boulevard Richmond, VA 23234
Who: Permanent residents who are eligible for naturalization.

We will also have several experienced immigration attorneys available to help prepare the applications and to review the N-400 forms

How: If you are interested in attending, please bring your completed N-400 form, if possible (available here:

Again, this review is being provided at no cost. Apply now so you can sponsor family for immigration!
Due to the high-volume nature of this event, we may not be able to review/assist at the workshop with cases that involve criminal issues, or other complex issues. However, we can refer you to an immigration attorney who can assist.

For more information please contact Immigration Attorney Emily Sumner at or at 804-396-3412.

Documents to bring to the event:


  • Your State issued ID.
  • Your Permanent Resident Card (Green Card).
  • $680 (A personal check or money order payable to Department of Homeland Security at the time you submit the application) (No fee if active military – bring proof of status) ($595 if over the age of 75).
  • 2 color passport photos.
  • List of home addresses for the past five years and the dates in which you resided at these addresses.
  • List of employer names and addresses for the past five years, including the dates you worked with these employers.
  • Birth dates and information about your spouse (current and former) and ALL children (including adult, adopted, deceased, and step-children) – date and place of birth, A#, Green Card, and current address.
  • Dates you have been outside of the U.S. since becoming a permanent resident and the countries visited on each trip.
  • Please bring all your current and expired passports.
  • Any record of crime/arrest/conviction/probation.

Other Documents

If the name on your green card is different than your current legal name:

  • Bring the documents that legally changed your name (marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court document)

If you are applying for U.S. citizenship based upon marriage to a U.S. citizen bring

  • Proof your spouse had been a citizen for the past 3 years (spouse’s birth certificate, naturalization certificate, certificate of citizenship, U.S. passport, or form FS240)
  • Current marriage certificate;
  • Proof of termination of all prior marriages of your spouse (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s));
  • Document showing that you and your spouse are still living together (examples: tax returns, bank statements, leases, mortgages, birth certificates of your children, IRS-certified copies of income taxes for the past three years);

  • If you have been married more than one time:
    • Bring proof that ALL earlier marriages ended (divorce decree(s), annulment(s), or death certificate(s)).

  • If you have taken a trip outside the U.S. lasting longer than 6 months since becoming a Permanent Resident bring:
    • IRS tax return “transcript” for the last 5 years (or last 3 years if married to a U.S. citizen);
    • Rent or mortgage payments; pay stubs.

  • If you have a dependent spouse or children who do not live with you bring:
  • Any court order to provide financial support;
  • Evidence of your financial support (examples: canceled checks, money orders receipt, evidence of wage garnishments, or letter from parent of guardian who cares for your children).

  • If you think you have been arrested, detained, or if you have had to appear before a court for any reason whether in the last five years or earlier:
  • Bring ALL documents relating to the arrest, conviction, court appearance, and final disposition.
  • EXCEPTION—Minor traffic violations (examples: parking tickets, speeding tickets)

  • If your federal, state, or local taxes are overdue (or you have failed to pay them):
  • Bring copies of all documents, letters, or papers you sent to or received from the government about the problem.
  • If you do not have proof of your registration, you can go to the Selective Service website (, enter your name, Social Security number, and birth date, and make a print-out showing that you registered. Bring this print-out with you. Or, you can call (847) 688-2576 to get proof that you registered. You should submit this with your N-400.
  • If you did not register, please consult a lawyer about your eligibility.
  • Selective Service: In general, all men ages 18 to 25 present in the U.S. (regardless of citizenship or immigration status) are required to register for the U.S. Selective Service. Only men who are in the U.S. in valid nonimmigrant status (i.e. on a student, temporary worker, or visitor’s visa) while between ages 18 to 25 are not required to register. If you were required to register at any time, even if you are over 25 now, please bring proof of your registration.

We look forward to seeing you there!